Couple of months ago, at its annual coach summit in Vegas, Beachbody announced its new program P90. After 20 years of experience Tony Horton applied his knowledge to create a program that is both easy to do, while delivering the same results you’d normally get with harder, more intense programs. That’s right, as the tagline goes – It is the on-switch to fitness. The one you can do.
As a company closely following trends in the health and fitness industry, and honestly setting some new standards when it comes to it, Beachbody has a lot of information regarding what it needs to make you fit. Case studies coming from millions of people who used their products, and constant feedback on every aspect of their workout routines, combined with cutting edge innovation when it comes to workouts, it is wise to believe that Beachbody holds some answers to most complex questions about fitness.
P90 is a remake of the original Power 90 series, and is designed not to test your metal – like most other Beachbody workouts do (Insanity, P90X)- but instead give you a shot on fitness at a lower intensity and effort. It is designed for everyone who wants to get in shape or stay in shape, without the grueling routines usually associated with being fit and healthy. The “x” in P90X stands for extreme; there is nothing extreme here on the other hand – this is the one everyone can do.
But, how then, if it is so easy and simple, will I get results?
Let us delve into that, shall we?
How did I start with P90 workout?
Yup, that’s right, I took the challenge. And for those of you who read more of my reviews on workouts this is probably weird, right? After all, I completed Insanity and Insanity: Asylum- two extremely difficult workout programs. So what made me go lower on the intensity scale?
Here is a story I think many will associate with
Couple of years ago I changed my habits in order to create a fit and healthy body. After haphazardly switching from one fitness routine to another, I discovered the Insanity workout (Beachbody’s greatest hit back in the day). Completing the workout, my whole understanding of fitness changed. I achieved the results I was after, reshaped my body, and honestly remodeled my life.
A year went by, and I took a shot on another, even harder challenge – Insanity: The Asylum. This was a program made, I suppose, for fitness fanatics to test their limits. And I tested mine. It was the most demanding physical challenge I ever faced. My body, as a side result, was better looking than ever.
After that, I had to try the newest Insanity, the Insanity Max 30 workout – more compact and shorter, yet surprisingly more effective.
But then what happened? Life happened.
The following year, life interrupted, and what was once easy to do and maintain, became harder and harder. My job took a bigger portion of my schedule, the challenges of starting a family life piled up one after another. Maintaining a fit and healthy body, yet alone the looks, was becoming more of a mission impossible. Frustration kicked in, and a garden variety of disappointment, broken expectations and resentment followed. I was trying to rediscover fitness by going to the gym, doing hybrid workouts by mixing one program with another. It was fairly pointless.
I lost most of my shape, and functional fitness became only a quaintly archaic term. Fitness, in that environment, no doubt became a reminder of frustration. Predictably, I entered a downward spiral sucking me away from health and fitness, into something I really resented.
Though I never did any of Tony Horton’s workouts (sorry pal), I always followed him for motivation and some additional advice on fitness (His accelerated series on YouTube rock). He is a role model of mine, and a man who is incredibly well versed in everything health and fitness related. It seems as though, this man has cracked the code on not aging and staying fit and healthy. Through his advice I figured that only couple of principles drive results in fitness.
Diversity, consistency, and upping the ante when you feel ready… It is all about doing your best and forgetting the rest.
His simplistic approach to fitness, despite being obsessed with freakishly intense workouts in the past, made me rethink some basic notions of fitness, what it means to be fit, and how to keep up with it over the long haul. The moment I heard about the new P90 workout, I knew this is as close to my magic card out of lethargy as I could get. I contacted some people within Beachbody, and voila there it was- the box with the DVD’s at my front door.
Making many reviews about their programs, I wanted to review P90 and post it on this site so you guys can have more information about the product. They were very helpful and granted my request couple of months before the release date. Little did they know that my intent and priority was to use the workout for myself in order to get back on the train. But I digress…
Why should you listen to what I say?
I will make this P90 review as detailed as possible and leave things up to you to decide. What qualifies me to write an extensive review about the workout, about any workout? There is much I can say in order to boost my credibility on the subject, but here is something in a brief:
I created some of the most detailed reviews for couple of Beachbody programs in the past, and received more feedback than I ever imagined. Nearly 1000 essay-long comments and more e-mails than I can count, I honestly think, modesty aside that I’m allowed to write on the subject of workout reviews.
On top of that I coached for a while, so I know where most people struggle with these types of exercises. Also, my girlfriend is actually very well versed into everything nutrition related, so I asked for her help when reviewing the Nutrition plan too. The most important thing of all? – I completed P90 and am about to share my journey back to fitness with pictures and whatnot.
What is the P90 workout? – The on-switch to fitness
So what is this new P90? This review will go into much detail below, as I will describe all the workouts and even give you some pictures of the results I made with it. But let us start with the basics.
The P90 workout is a 90 days workout program, with workouts varying in length (25-45 minutes) and diversified in sets of exercises.
It delivers results in 90 days, and taking in consideration its intensity you can continue with it as long as you want to stay in great shape. Easy and fun to do, featuring Tony Horton’s charming and magnetically appealing personality, this program is something you will want to do daily for years and years ahead.
Released November 3rd, and still lacking the media attention, this program is soon about to shake up the fitness world.
Why this program is described as revolutionary probably may have to do with challenging the basic premises of fitness. The fact that it is lower in intensity but still delivers the same results, points to far more sophisticated exercise routines, derived from decades long experience and trial and error. If people paid lip-service to the P90X series I can only imagine how big of a hit is the new P90 going to be.
People, millions of them, tried P90X and Insanity, and kindly gave feedback. Beachbody listened and created something different, something doable.
“The P90 workout is the result of everything I’ve learned in 20 years. Here’s the key…
In as little as 25 minutes a day, P90 will help you completely change your body—not by working you harder—but by keeping it simple. Simple cardio. Simple resistance training. A simple approach to portion control. I won’t say these new workouts are easy . . . but they’re a whole lot easier to get done now. And that’s how P90 will help you finally get the body you want.” – Tony Horton
Why the P90 workout?
If there are only one or two points you are about to take away with you from this P90 review, let them be these:
- The new P90 workout is less intense but still delivers almost the same results as other more demanding routines. Everyone can do it. There are even additional modifications to each exercise. This is really the one you can do.
- The P90 workout is the only program that you can continue to do even after you achieve your results. Others workouts are longer, freakishly intense -and as I’ve found out- impossible to keep up with over the long haul. Well balanced cardio, strength, flexibility, and endurance, combined to bring you both looks and functional fitness. Like taking your daily cup of health and fitness.
“Hardcore workouts aren’t for everybody. I mean, what if you just want to lose 20 pounds? Or get back some of the muscle tone you had in college. Maybe you just want to get out of bed in the morning without a backache. For that all you need is something straightforward. Fundamental. Doable.” – Tony Horton
10 reasons why you should consider P90:
- You can do the P90 program within the comfort of your own home. All you need is a towel, a water bottle, and a set of dumbbells.
- You can put the DVD in your laptop and do P90 out in the open, in your hotel room, wherever you go. I’m currently on a vocation with my girlfriend in the Ionian island of Corfu, and we are doing P90 every morning on the beach.
- The workouts are shorter and less intense, but still as effective as any grueling fitness routine.
- There are modifications to every move. If you are facing some type of injury P90 might as well be the perfect routine for you to recover.
- It is a perfect blend of cardio, strength, balance, flexibility, and agility improving exercises.
- There are many principles and techniques incorporated from various areas of fitness such as Yoga, Pilates, Aerobic, traditional Strength training, cardio, gymnastics and athletic training.
- There is a calendar to track your journey.
- There is a no-brainer, practical and really impressive nutrition plan.
- You can do this program even after you get the results. Great for keeping you into shape- this is a very fundamental difference when compared to other workouts.
- It works
Oh, and a bonus one – Tony Horton will prove to you that all you need is a little motivation. He is the best coach and motivator and all you need to do is push play.
Why NOT P90?
Not everything is pink here; and I don’t intend to write flowery prose.
- Not a lot of gains when it comes to muscle mass. Let be realistic here. You will gain quite, but forget the bulky fella look from the gym. Though by defining every muscle visually, by strengthening it and losing the surrounding fat tissue, it will provide you with that impressive look.
- You will have to work for it. I know that the marketing goes with a very reassuring proposition- everyone can do it. But let us be realistic here. You cannot expect to not break a sweat and still get results. You WILL have to work for it. If you are lazy and believe that doing close to nothing will grant you with a nice looking six pack, let me be the one who says it- never, ever.
- Some people, though better, don’t like to work out while there is any background noise. Yet alone a guy who never stops talking. Tony is quite the motivator, but I have heard from people that some are, well how do I put this, immune to his charm and allergic to his sense of humor. I personally enjoy listening to him while I work out- motivates me more than any person I can imagine. Here is a tip- you can watch some excerpts from YouTube, especially his accelerated series workout routines and see whether or not you like the way he takes you through the workout.
- You have the type of neighbor living under you that will call the police even if he hears something louder than a noise you normally make while walking. Sorry guys, cannot help here- though there is not much jumping in P90, there are some jumps so…
Who is P90 made for?
If saying “everybody” is kind of putting it vaguely for you, let me put it this way:
- People who have never worked out before
- People who tried other workouts but failed to stick with them
- People who are turned away by intense grueling routines
- People who had, or have some physical injuries and cannot seem to find anything suitable for them in the realm of fitness
- People who once got it, but having life messing with their plans, lost it over the course of the years (Hey, I’m waiving, see?)
- People who want the benefits of looking awesome and being fit and healthy, without the grueling workouts normally associated with it.
- People who are fit and don’t know how, or find it hard, to remain fit. (There, there…)
The P90 workout Versus P90X and other Beachbody workouts
Observing on the surface, the main argument behind why P90 instead of other earlier released programs is intensity. Or lack of it, thereof. But let me put some things into perspective…
P90, aside from having a lower entry barrier in terms of intensity, is designed so that you can push within your own limits and physical capacity. Your fitness level is IRRELEVANT.
Sure, P90X and Insanity functioned on a similar premise- you can push within your limits. But most people have found that their physical capability lags far behind what the program requires from you in order to make real progress. In such conditions, not only were participants not doing what the program was designed for, but they were finding it hard to do anything at all- a glitch that made most of the program dropouts, statistic wise.
P90 on the other hand can be done by everyone.
The workouts have modifications, and they are progressing in a way that makes it possible to complete more of them, and by modifying- the entirety of them.
Those like me, who were once accustomed with some of the hardest workout routines and achieved incredible results, are still to be amused. For P90 offers a routine, even for fitness veterans, to test their metal.
Also, if you already bought this P90 workout, you can now stream it with the new Beachbody On Demand streaming service, read more in this Beachbody on Demand review.
And if you’re looking for something completely different, check the Cize dance workout, you can read more about it in this Cize workout review.
How is this possible?
Simply put, the exercises follow some of the same principles that made P90X and Insanity such of a success. While some moves are framed within one minute intervals, where you can push to your current limits of how many reps you can do, others that require reps within sets can be done with lighter or heavier weights. This puts P90 both in the beginner, intermediate, as well as advanced category.
Put the modification into consideration, and even toddlers can do it.
OK, but that is making it clear why fitness aficionados and veterans are going to get results, right? What about beginners?
Well, it turns out, that by following the level of intensity at which you are currently capable to perform you are actually making most of your progress. In other words, P90 is dosing your intensity day after day after day. This way, the body adapts to one level of intensity and is quickly able to shift gears without you even noticing any notable difference.
Translated in simple English, if you are only able to do the modifications the first week, you will be able to do most of the workouts by the time you are into the second one. Add one month to this math, and you will be doing every exercise from the program on high intensity. The thing is – you will be as much tired performing on highest intensity by the end of the 90 days, as you are during your first week of doing modifications.
Another great thing about the new P90 is that Tony Horton took everything that worked, and improved upon it. So you will see moves that were never used before in any of the other programs. The exercises are innovative, engaging, fun, challenging, and most of all incredibly effective. He took science, 20 years of personal experience, and principles and techniques from athletic training, strength training routines, gymnastics, Yoga, Pilates, Kick boxing, Aerobic, to name few…
What to expect from P90? – Reality check
- Expect to lose from 20 to 40 something pounds even if you are a total beginner.
- Expect to gain a fair amount of muscle mass if you really dig into it, and even get great muscle definition if you are more comfortable with training at a lower intensity.
- Expect to become faster, more agile, stronger, more flexible, and improve your balance.
- Expect to invest yourself and feel discomfort ONLY slightly above the boundaries of your comfort zone. (What distinguishes P90 from everything else)
- Expect to be able to perform everything, or start with the modifications and get to full intensity.
- Expect your health, sleep, immune system, and mood to improve. Dramatically.
- Expect to have fun, lots of it.
Unlike other fitness routines and regimens, you are about to enjoy this journey.
Here is what is required to bring you to your expectations:
Included in the package:
- The 9 progressive workouts divided into phases A,B and C plus a bonus one
- The “how to hit it” tutorial
- A simple Nutrition plan
- A 4-step power plan (this is a surprise gift from Tony- not telling what it is)
- The 90 day workout calendar
- A high-grade quality resistance band
- Online support to answer all your questions and help you with every aspect of the program
- 6 Day shred (another bonus gift from Beachbody. This is very useful if you want to make a dramatic shift on how you look. A great temporary tool)
Things you need to bring along:
- A set of dumbbells (though you can use the band only)
- A towel (there will be a lot of sweating I guarantee you that)
- A mat (though optional, it does help)
- A water bottle (or something to drink from)
- A 2X2 meters space (you can pass with less though)
- The willingness to work hard (the most important thing of all)
P90 workout – review of the workouts
Sculpt A will put some emphasis on resistance training and non-complex resistance moves. It will provide the base from which you start to progress.
Sweat A will combine cardio routines that will make you- well it says in the title- sweat buckets. The cardio routines incorporate some resistance moves as well, and it will drain fat even within the first couple of times you do this workout.
Ab Ripper A is Tony’s introduction to ab routines. It will fire up your abs and welcome you to the feeling of having a strong core. Here is where you start to build the abs.
Sculpt B is centered more on routines including repetitions with resistance training. It will start to test your muscle endurance and build some muscle in the process. The workouts get harder but thanks to phase A, you somehow transition easily.
Sweat B will drain even more energy and test your cardio endurance. The routines, though getting more complex, are still simple to comprehend and do. Expect more sweat.
Ab Ripper B will take you through some really innovative and hard ab moves. By the time you finish doing it for the first time you will see a noticeable difference in the way your abdomen looks.
Sculpt C- This is where Tony will put you through some serious work that is going to define your muscles. The routines are more complex, and actually (at least for me) way more fun to do. Expect to surpass yourself in terms of intensity.
Sweat C – Some rather more intense cardio, though it is still doable. It will drain your energy and thus fat tissue as well. By the time I finished doing this workout, my body already showed great results. Coincidently, this is the one I did the first day on my holiday here on the islands- my girlfriend says it works, so who am I to argue, right? J
Ab Ripper C- the most complex yet simple ab routine of the pack. You will see what I’m talking about. It will make your abs show way more. This is the one I love doing the most. It makes your six-pack to really show.
What’s with the titles dude? Kidding aside, this thing works well in order to give you a nice whole body routine that will focus on every part of the body in less time than usual. It is indeed a Saturday special.
Some tips on how to make P90 work better
Nothing important to say really, since they have pretty much all covered. Though there are couple of notes I will like you to take along.
- Don’t try to switch Phase A workouts with Phase B or C, it doesn’t work that way. See, the workouts are made to follow the sectional progression method that Tony made especially for P90, so your muscles adapt accordingly, thus allowing results.
- Make sure to have a well-ventilated room with an average or slightly cooler temperature. I always learn the hard way, nearly fainting in the past when I did more intense workouts.
- Stick with it and really listen to what Tony says. He knows his craft, so let him work his magic on you.
- Invest yourself. If you are thinking whether or not you are doing your best, you are not doing your best. It is when you lose yourself in the workouts that you know you are making the most of P90.
My results with the P90 workout
Never in any of my previous reviews did I include pictures to accompany what I write about my journey. So, without further ado, here are some after pictures of what P90 did to me.
Results vary from one person to the next, and you are neither better nor worse, but different in terms of starting position, fat tissue, muscle mass, level of intensity invested during the workouts…
- I lost 19 pounds
- I feel better, stronger, as fit as I ever were
- I have more muscle definition than I hoped for
- I have way more energy than with any other previous workout that I did
- I love my abs
- All is well received by my significant other J
Where to buy P90 from?
With two monthly payments of only $39 AND a ridiculous 90 days money back guarantee (basically, until you finish with it.), this is the best fitness option that money can buy. Previous workouts sold for way more, and there was no resistance band or anything else included. Doing the math, I will go ahead and say that the new P90 workout is cheap.
So where to buy P90 if you decide to do so?
Avoid any resellers that are soon to come out. For a difference of few dollars, you better go with the official site and get all the perks that go along with it, such as payment via two monthly fees, online support and the money back guarantee. That’s right – a 90 days money back guarantee.
So what is included in the P90 package, for the last time?
- 4 DVDs with 10 workouts on them
- A high quality resistance band
- A nutritional guide
- A 90 days calendar (the schedule)
- “how to hit it” tutorial
- 4 step power plan
- A 6-day shred
- Online support in any time
- A ridiculous 90 days money back guarantee
Final words of the P90 workout review
I sincerely hope that this review gave you a nudge towards or away from P90. Having said that, I hope I didn’t bore you to death with too much detail, and gave you enough evidence for you to decide on your own whether this workout is the right one for you.
As for my word on this issue, I personally recommend this workout – if that means anything to you at all – it improved my fitness level, my looks, improving my muscle definition, and decreasing fat tissue. It worked for me. It is up to you to decide whether or not P90 deserves a try. My advice? – Go with it and see yourself changing rapidly during the period of 90 days.
I’m willing to help you with every question that you have prior or during your journey with P90. I hope this review was more helpful than other reviews of P90 out there, so don’t forget to comment or share.