Lightweight throwing hatchet patterned after our award winning competition throwing axe (ASIN B00A2WHL94 – only the cheek is thinner). Balance is just the same and is preferred by many of our experienced customers because it’s easier on the arm. We customized this design to fit the needs of boy scouts and teens 13 years or older
* Balanced for throwing – The head weight, handle length, and design are calculated to complete 1 revolution between 5-7 steps from your target. Actual distance depends greatly on your specific throwing style. br>
* High Carbon Steel – We’ve focused on using EN49 high carbon steel. This type of steel is soft enough to take sharpening while being hard enough to hold and edge without becoming brittle and breaking
*Oil Tempered blade edge – We harden the blade edge so that the edge stays sharp for longer.
* Overall Length – The handle is cut to 19 inches – the ideal length for the general audience based on our testing.
* Blade Edge – Per the rules of hatchet throwing competitions across the world, the general rule is that the blade of your hatchet may not exceed 4 inches. We keep this one at 3.75 inches which provides more than enough surface area to stick to your target consistently.
* American Hickory Handle – Each handle is turned in the USA from premium A grade straight grain American Hickory. Every handle is sanded smooth and caoted in a light wax for secure grip and protection for the wood.
* Overall Weight- Each hatchet is around 1.4 lbs.
* Hand Forged – Our blacksmiths follow a very specific process to develop our designs exclusively for us. You will not find the same hand crafted care and attention to detail at such an affordable price anywhere else on the market. Each hawk head is crafted by hand and features unique hammer marks from the blacksmith. Due to the hand crafted nature of this product, each tomahawk head is unique.
*Note About Sharpening: To keep safety in mind with the sharpness of the blade, the blade edge will not be extremely sharp. A razor sharp blade is not necessary for throwing purposes and may cause safety issues with our younger handlers.
*Note About High Carbon Steel: High carbon steel is super reliable but requires attention. Our heads are coated in oil to prevent rusting.
✔NEED A THROWING HATCHET THAT WONT HURT YOUR ARM WHEN THROWING? EQUIP YOURSELF WITH THIS LIGHTWEIGHT THROWER- a quarter pound lighter than our standard size hawk (ASIN B00A2WHL94), this hawk is ideal for those who’d like the same benefits of our award winning competitive throwing hawk all packed into 1.35 lbs. (And this hawk still wins throwing events too)
✔ 19″ COMPETITIVE THROWING AXE IDEAL FOR AGES 13+ -We designed this axe to be more lightweight for our younger throwers. It’s popular among our Boy Scouts in their camporees, recreational camps, and scouting activities. It’s a great way to get outside and away from the computer and television screens.
✔HAND FORGED BY OUR BLACKSMITH ONE BY ONE – YOU WON’T BE DISAPPOINTED! -Each hatchet is forged with high carbon steel BY HAND and the edge has been oil tempered. Our steel is specifically designed to be hard enough hold an edge, and soft enough for sharpening and throwing.
✔MAKE SURE TO ASK YOURSELF THIS BEFORE PURCHASING ANY STEEL TOOL FOR THROWING —Did they use steel soft enough to be able to sharpen and use for throwing? Or is the steel used designed for other activities making it too brittle to handle the impact of throwing (causing a brittle blade to chip, crack or split). We built ours the right way.
✔NEED SPARE HANDLES OR A SHEATH? Spare Handles can be found typing in ASIN B00B40GFWM or B00HN25IDC – Sheaths using ASIN – B00K85OENG or B00H85S7UK